Monday, December 26, 2011

Flor'Easter: Day 3


Most of today was spent visiting with friends of the family, but I did escape for a few hours to scope out my route to another set of mountain biking trails close to where my in-laws live.





I rode up a multi-use path along 1A to find the Mala Compra trail system in Palm Coast.  "Mala Compra", which literally means "bad buy" in Spanish is precisely the polar opposite of a Best Buy box store.

The first half of the multi-use trail that I took to get there ran along the road, like an extra-wide sidewalk, and was anything but backcountry.  However, on the second half of the trip the trail ducked into the woods, sheltering me from the wind and the noise of the nearby traffic.

I arrived fairly quickly to the Mala Compra trailhead, but decided against taking my thin-tired, suspension-less ride onto the sandy singletrack.  There is ample parking across the street at the Mala Compra Plantation visitor's center, which also has a large fishing dock and picnic area.

Nearby there is a small snack shack, a bar, an RV Park with camping sites, and there's even a motel and public beach within easy riding distance.  So if you're looking for a place to stop on your drive down the Florida east coast, this might be a nice relaxing backwater for your stay.
Dock area at Mala Compra

Today's little adventure lasted less than two hours, but I've set myself up nicely for when the mountain bike arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment